Friday 23 October 2009

Ignatian Spiritual Exercises

This is a bit off topic from Buddhist Ethics, but interestingly similar... Plus I'm working on a conference paper now comparing these with the Metta-Bhavana (Cultivation of loving-kindness).

Here are some resources I'm working from:

Some Wikipedia stuff (used for general information, not as a source!)
And a couple more:
I'm also using David L. Fleming, SJ's book, "What is Ignatian Spirituality"- available online for free by following that link. Guidance in my writing and research has come from my friend and occasional spiritual advisor, Larry, who himself is a lay Jesuit spiritual director (meaning that he leads people through the Spiritual Exercises). And lastly I have a couple dull historical texts. I'm hoping to get a copy of the original Spiritual Exercises in Spanish, but time and the fact that me Español es mierda may prevent much coming from that endeavor.

For those interested in looking at parallels between this and Buddhist practice, a good place to start is the examen:

This is a version of the five-step Daily Examen that St. Ignatius practiced.

1. Become aware of God’s presence.

2. Review the day with gratitude.

3. Pay attention to your emotions.

4. Choose one feature of the day and pray from it.

5. Look toward tomorrow.

For details about each step of the Examen, read How Can I Pray?

No comments:

Post a Comment